Advising Non-CE Students in Graduate Programs

by Larry W. Canter, (A.M.ASCE), Dir. and Prof.; School of Civ. Engrg. and Envir. Sci., Univ. of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.,

Serial Information: Engineering Issues: Journal of Professional Activities, 1978, Vol. 104, Issue 1, Pg. 9-17

Document Type: Journal Paper


To determine advising patterns in civil engineering programs for non-civil engineering graduate students, data from 21 schools geographically distributed in the United States were assembled. Specific requests were made regarding advising patterns used for six cases. The first two dealt with students wanting to major in structural engineering, and holding Bachelor's degrees from either mechanical engineering, architectural engineering, or architecture. The third case was for students desiring to major in transportation planning, but having Bachelor's degrees in mathematics. The fourth case dealt with students desiring to major in materials, but having Bachelor's degrees in chemistry. The final two were for students desiring to major in environmental engineering, and holding degrees in either chemical engineering or biology. Results indicated that most schools require pertinent undergraduate courses for the specialty area prior to graduate work. Some schools require completion of the BS degree in civil engineering or equivalent.

Subject Headings: Engineering education | Students | Architectural engineering | Structural engineering | Mathematics | Environmental issues | Chemicals | Undergraduate study | United States

Services: Buy this book/Buy this article


Return to search