Potential United States Water-Supply Development

by Clayton H. Hardison, Res. Hydr. Engr.; U.S. Geological Survey, Arlington, VA,


Serial Information: Journal of the Irrigation and Drainage Division, 1972, Vol. 98, Issue 3, Pg. 479-492


Document Type: Journal Paper

Discussion: Klemeš Vít (See full record)

Abstract: With no storage, the supply of surface water available in conterminous United States would be only 8% of the average annual runoff, whereas if one-half of the existing storage capacity were used to augment low flow, 23% of the average annual runoff would be available throughout all but 2% of the years. If all the existing storage capacity were so used, 34% of the average annual runoff would be available, and with unlimited storage capacity 86% would be available. The other 14% would be evaporated from the 3.5 billion acre-ft of storage that would be required to regulate the flow. For water worth $0.05 per 1,000 gal, development of 80% of the average annual runoff of conterminous United States would be economically justified. In 10 of the 17 water resources regions of conterminous United States, development of surface water resources is less than one-half of the potential development.

Subject Headings: Water supply | Runoff | Waste storage | Water resources | Surface water | Water storage | Evaporation | Water flow | Low flow | North America | United States

Services: Buy this book/Buy this article

 

Return to search