Out of the Wayby Jeff L. Brown, Contributing Editor; ASCE World Headquarters, 1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, VA,
Serial Information: Civil Engineering—ASCE, 2001, Vol. 71, Issue 3, Pg. 60-65
Document Type: Feature article
Abstract: The 0.9 mi (1.4 km) long Fort Washington Way was built in 1961 as a distributor for local downtown traffic. It quickly became a critical section of the region's Interstate highway system as well, connecting Interstates 71, 75, and 471. In 1997 the city of Cincinnati teamed up with Parsons Brinckerhoff to streamline Fort Washington Way, shift it to the north, and place it in a trench 25 ft (8 m) below grade. The design opened up 14 acres (6 ha) of riverfront property for development and included five bridges across the highway to reconnect downtown with the riverfront. Numerous components were added to the plan along the way, including a combined sewer overflow system; an intermodal transit center; a replacement floodwall; a 48 in. (1.2 m) water transmission main; and 800 steel piles to support a future deck over the highway. Despite a tight 34-month schedule, the reconstructed highway opened to traffic on time in August 2000.
Subject Headings: Design | Highways and roads | Ohio | Reconstruction | Relocation
Services: Buy this book/Buy this article
Return to search