Averaging Time and Maximum Speeds in Hurricanes

by Naveen Aerrabotu, Clemson Univ, Clemson, United States,
Timothy A. Reinhold, (M.ASCE), Clemson Univ, Clemson, United States,



Document Type: Proceeding Paper

Part of: Structures Congress XII

Abstract:

This paper discuses wind speed data obtained during Hurricane Andrew around Miami International Airport, at six anemometer locations which make up the wind shear warning network. Data from the six anemometer locations were analyzed to obtain factors describing the relationship between maximum wind speeds for different averaging time. The results are compared with the curve in ASCE 7-88 and with the suggested curve for hurricane winds given by Krayer and Marshall (1992). Additional studies of hurricane winds are clearly needed and the curve describing the Ratio of Probable Maximum Speed Averaged over 't' seconds to Hourly Mean Speed in ASCE 7-88 needs to be modified. Ratios higher than indicated by the ASCE 7-88 curve were observed for data from Hurricane Andrew. The ratios corresponding to the 10% probability of excedence (90 percent of the ratios were lower) closely follow the suggested curve given by Krayer and Marshall (1992).



Subject Headings: Curvature | Measuring instruments | Hurricanes and typhoons | Wind speed | Airports and airfields | Disaster warning systems | Boundary layers | Mathematical models | Miami | Florida | United States

Services: Buy this book/Buy this article

 

Return to search