Four Options for Hazardous Waste Disposal

by Ronald D. Hill, Dir.; U.S. EPA, Cincinnati, Ohio,
Carlton C. Wiles, Chem. Engr.; U.S. EPA, Cincinnati, Ohio,
Robert E. Landreth, Civ. Engr.; U.S. EPA, Cincinnati, Ohio,
Norman B. Shomaker, Chf.; U.S. EPA, Cincinnati, Ohio,

Serial Information: Civil Engineering—ASCE, 1981, Vol. 51, Issue 9, Pg. 82-85

Document Type: Feature article

Abstract: Landfills, land treatment, mine storage, and deep well injection are four options examined as solutions to the hazardous waste disposal problem. Statistics indicate approximately 40 million wet metric tons of hazardous waste were produced in 1980. Nearly 83 percent of this waste was treated and disposed of on-site by the producer. The remaining 17 percent was handled by off-site commercial facilities. Engineering design and construction information is presented for each option examined.

Subject Headings: Hazardous wastes | Waste disposal | Landfills | Waste storage | Mining |

Services: Buy this book/Buy this article


Return to search