Rehabilitation of Wilson Dam Generating Unitsby William F. Willis,
J. E. Kirkland,
Serial Information: Journal of the Power Division, 1969, Vol. 95, Issue 2, Pg. 321-334
Document Type: Journal Paper
Abstract: The first eight hydroelectric generating units at Wilson Dam were placed in service in 1925. The TVA began a program of rehabilitating and modernizing these units in 1964 to reduce maintenance, increase generating capability and provide remote control operation. The major equipment changes included new turbine runners, new generator stators complete with air housings, and new governors. In spite of unforeseen problems with four of the generator spiders which delayed the construction program and resulted in numerous changes to the construction schedule, the program was satisfactorily completed in 1968. The generating capacity of the units was increased an average of 17%, control was transferred to the central control room and the units have been in service for periods up to two years without significant operational or maintenance problems.
Subject Headings: Dams | Rehabilitation | Maintenance | Construction management | Hydro power | Federal government | Traffic engineering | Remote control
Services: Buy this book/Buy this article
Return to search