Ventura City Hall Restorationby James Warner, (M.ASCE), Pres.; Warner Engrg. Services, Intrusion Pressure Grouting Specialists, Los Angeles, Calif.,
Serial Information: Journal of the Construction Division, 1976, Vol. 102, Issue 1, Pg. 119-130
Document Type: Journal Paper
Describes the modernization of a concrete frame unreinforced masonry filler wall historical structure originally constructed in 1912. Newly developed and novel materials and procedures, including use of a variety of epoxy resin structural adhesives, were utilized in upgrading the structure to conform to all current code requirements including those for seismic loading. The rehabilitation provided for removal and replacement of the heating, air conditioning, plumbing and electrical systems in their entirety, underpinning and strengthening of the existing floors and walls. In order to preserve the highly decorative irreplaceable exterior surfaces, all strengthening was done from the interior. Included was removal of a portion of the existing masonry and replacement with reinforced gunite followed by injection of an expanding epoxy-ceramic foam structural adhesive into the remaining masonry section resulting in establishment of an absolute bond between the new construction and existing decorative elements.
Subject Headings: Government buildings | Masonry | Walls | Seismic loads | Concrete frames | Earthquake resistant structures | Epoxy | Adhesives
Services: Buy this book/Buy this article
Return to search